10. Sınıf Dikey Yayıncılık İngilizce Çalışma Kitabı Sayfa 140 Cevabı
1. Read the text and answer the questions.
1. What did most of the people use to do in Ancient Greece to earn their lives?
2. How was the life of a typical rich family then?
3. Who were some of the important philosophers in Ancient Greece?
4. What was the importance of Pythagoras and Archimedes in history?
5. What did the philosophers try to do then?
Ancient Greece was one of the greatest civilizations in history. Ancient Greece was the first civilization to make a systematic study on subjects like geometry, medicine and philosophy. Life then in Athens and other Greek cities was good. The citizens were free to say and do as they liked. Most of the people used to be farmers. They used to grow barley, wheat, grapes and olives. Other people were craftsmen. They produced metal items, pottery or textiles. Some other people worked in the shipyards or in small factories. The typical rich family used to live in a huge stone house with a garden. Usually, these families used to have dozens of slaves to do the household chores. With the slaves doing all the work, the rich Greek citizens used to have plenty of time for leisure activities.
They also made great contributions to science and art. Eratosthenes was among the first to declare that the Earth was round. Other Greek mathematicians like Pythagoras and Archimedes also made priceless contributions to the foundation of modern arithmetic and geometry. The father of modern medicine was a Greek named Hippocrates. Greek people used to like philosophy. Among the great philosophers of the ancient world were Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. They tried to understand abstract ideas such as goodness, knowledge, pleasure and the soul. We can’t fully understand some of these ideas even today.
2. Draw lines to match the two parts to make meaningful sentences according to the article.
The typical rich family used to live… barley, wheat, grapes and olives.
Greek citizens used to have… in a huge stone house with a garden.
Greek people used to like… dozens of slaves to do the housework.
Most of the citizens used to grow… philosophy, arithmetic and geometry.
Most of the rich families used to have… plenty of time for leisurely activities.