11. Sınıf Meb Yayınları İngilizce Çalışma Kitabı Sayfa 37 Cevabı 2017 – 2018 Yeni Müfredat
11. Sınıf Meb Yayınları İngilizce Çalışma Kitabı Sayfa 37 Cevabı
Read the texts quickly and choose the correct answer.
Who appeared on the screens?
a) Houdini b) Copperfield
Houdini was the most famous escape artist in the world born in 1874, in Hungary and died in 1926. His family moved to the USA when he was only four. He had to work to help his family during his childhood. He cleaned shoes, sold newspapers and performed tricks to earn money. He opened locks and handcuffs without a key. He said he’d learnt to open locks when he couldn’t get an apple pie from his mother’s locked cupboard. In 1899, Houdini’s act caught the attention of an entertaintment manager. He made Houdini worldwide known by a European tour. He escaped from boxes, underwater tanks and prisons. He once escaped from a straitjacket when he was hanging on a rope from a high building. A lot of people tried to copy him but they couldn’t succeed.
Copperfield was born into a wealthy family in 1956, in the USA. He’s the best known illusionist of our time. Also he’s the first illusionist to be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He started dealing with magic at the age of 12 and became the youngest person to gain admission into the society of American Magicians. At sixteen, he began teaching magic at New York University. He was first seen on TV in 1977. In his shows in the 1980s and 1990s, he made the Statue of Liberty disappear, walked through the Great Wall of China and flew above the stage with a lady from the audience in his arms while thousands of amazed spectators were watching him. David says, “It takes at least 2 years to develop illusions and some of them even longer.”
[m Read the texts and answer the questions.
1. Which of the magicians had a difficult childhood? Why?
2. Are the two magicians’ tricks similar or different? Why?
Read the texts again and write the correct name, Copperfield (C) or Houdini (H) in the blanks.
1. _______was born in the 20th century.
2. ____succeeded to be the one in his profession.
3. ____did various kinds of jobs to earn his life.
4. ____came a long way in his profession at an early age.
5. ____became famous by the help of a man.
6. ____did dangerous tricks.
7. ____was imitated by lots of people.
8. ____‘s shows take a long time to get prepared for.